iron plate cleaner

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Juliane729, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Juliane729 Member

Craft Books:
    So in making freezer paper stencils, I managed to gum up part of my iron plate (note to readers, if you rip off a piece of your freezer paper stencil, don't try to reattach it with scotch tape and then iron it!! :eek: )  I looked online for ways to clean the plate and someone said to iron an unused dryer sheet on a low setting.  I missed the LOW part and managed to make a dryer sheet melt but it still didn't clean the plate.  I ironed another one on low, with a face cloth between the dryer sheet and my ironing board (didn't want to scorch the cover).  That still didn't clean the plate off completely, but I think it started loosening the gunk.  Fast forward a few days later when I used the same facecloth to cover something I was ironing.  I noticed that the face cloth was changing color a bit.  When I looked at the iron plate, it was pristine! 

So long story short, if you gum up your iron plate with crafty things, try putting a little fabric softener on a facecloth and ironing the heck out of it. 
  2. crafterschat Administrator

Craft Books:
    What a great tip! I will never forget that one.
  3. Kathy New Member

Craft Books:
    I manage to gum up my iron plate every week. Thanks for the tip!! I am definitely going to use it!